Known for her sultry looks, electric voice and energetic performances, Yemi Alade is one Afropop artiste that wasted no time in owning the industry and becoming a queen in her own right. Born Yemi Eberechi Alade on March 13 1989, Mama Africa, as she loves to be called, is one of the highest-viewed Nigerian artistes on YouTube thanks to her popular song “Johnny”. Asides from that, here are 7 more facts about her that you probably never knew.
1. Yemi Alade is actually half Yoruba and half Igbo thanks to her dad and mum respectively. She was born in Abia State (where her mum hails from) and then came to Lagos after for her education. Her father is also a former Commissioner of Police
2. A graduate of the University of Lagos where she studied Geography, Mama Africa was once part of an all-girls group called “Noty Spices” in 2005.
3. She broke into the music scene four years after her escapades with Noty Spices after winning the maiden edition of the Peak Talent Hunt show in 2009.
4. After winning the talent hunt show, it took three more years for Yemi to break into the limelight, which she did with her popular hit single, “Ghen Ghen Love”.
5. She has a jewellery line called Yemi Alade collections where she sells a variety of African and international accessories (the type she usually wears in her music videos).
6. Yemi Alade also has a mobile application which she launched in 2015. The application allows users to see exclusive and non-exclusive content such as behind the scenes footage, performances, photos and many more.
7. Mama Africa is also the first Nigerian artiste to be featured in popular dance games like “Just Dance”. She also was the only African artiste featured in Shell’s mobile energy song campaign and has many, many awards (both local and international) to her name.
CHECK OUT THESE FACTS: