Nigeria vs Argentina – World Cup Match Preview, Predictions and Stats

As the group stages come to a crescendo, the Super Eagles’ hopes of qualifying to the knockout stages rest on the result against Argentina by 7 pm today at the St. Petersburg Stadium.

After two individual goals from Ahmed Musa helped Nigeria earn a victory against Iceland, which subsequently gave them a much-needed three points and pushed them up to second place in the group, Nigeria will have to either win or draw the final Group D World Cup match to book a place in the last 16.

However, even though Argentina haven’t exactly had the type of World Cup experience that everyone expected, the fact that they still have a chance of qualifying – should they defeat Nigeria, – may be all the motivation and drive that Lionel Messi and his teammates would need to take the game to the Super Eagles.

Pundits have given Nigeria a 16% chance of victory, Argentina a 63% chance of victory, and 21% chance of a draw.

Both sides have met eight times with Nigeria winning 2 encounters (both International friendlies), Argentina winning 5 (all coming from World Cup victories), and 1 draw which came in the Confederations Cup.

Also, the result between Croatia and Iceland can also play a part in the Super Eagles’ hopes of qualification because should Iceland defeat Croatia, they may qualify instead (pending the results from Nigeria vs Argentina).

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply