Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun, popularly known as Wizkid and the self-titled ‘Starboy,’ is undoubtedly one of the most popular artists in Africa. Since he burst into the music scene in 2009, he has soared higher than almost every other musician that came before and after him thanks to his amazing work ethic and wonderful hustling spirit.
The multi-award winning artist is known by Nigerians and Africans worldwide, but not many fans actually KNOW Wizkid. These 11 unbelievable facts you probably didn’t know about Wizkid will surely do just that.
- Wizkid was born in Lagos State on July 16, 1990 into the Balogun family of six. He is the last born and the only son of his parents.
- He started singing at the age of 11 under the name “Lil Prinz.” He subsequently formed a group called ‘Glorious Five’ with some friends from his church’s choir.
- He released a 7-track album under ‘Glorious Five’ and made N10k from its sales.
- The now popular Wizkid name was gotten three years shy of his break into the Nigerian music industry. A break which came when he was featured on M.I’s Fast Money, Fast Cars in 2009.
- His debut album “Superstar’ was released in 2011 under EME records and the album has been said to be one of the greatest Nigerian albums of all time.
- Wizkid holds the record for the highest number of Celebrities feature (Cameo Appearance) on a Music Video in Africa – ‘Tease Me’ & ‘Pakurumo’.
- Wizkid was in the studio when 2face Recorded ‘Grass To Grace’ and Soundsultan recorded ‘Jagbajantis’.
- Daddy Yo dropped out of Lead City University in 2011 into his 3rd Year where he was studying ‘International Relations’.
- He is the first Nigerian artist to feature that many A-list international artists in his album “Sounds From The Other Side’.
- He left E.M.E to start his own record label, Star Boy Entertainment, with Maleek Berry, Legendury Beatz, and L.A.X all signed to his label.
- Starboy has more collabos (both locally and internationally0 than any other Nigerian artist.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: