SOLO Mobile has teamed up with the good guys at Airtel and RenMoney to deliver to you, the most awesomely
free affordable and genius piece of tech you will read about today.
The recently launched SOLO Aspire M is a fully functional smartphone that you get for a token monthly access fee of N4,150 over a choice spread period of 12 months, after which the device becomes absolutely free.
You’re probably thinking to yourself.
- Please how can it make money for musicians oh?
- This one that the the phone is free, hope it can make calls?
- What is Airtel and Renmoney’s business inside the matter?
- Why did you say free and I am seeing N4150 for 12 months?
- You have still not told us how it makes money.
😅So I’ll answer each question in the order of 2, 4, 3 and 1(which pretty much answers 5). I’ll also tell you the most badass feature of this phone at the end of the post.
- Lmao Of course it can make calls. Here’s what I mean by fully functional. This phone can do every smart thing required of every smartphone. It may not exactly bathe you and cook you dinner, but at the very least, you can proudly Snapchat without being caught in the line of fire, of the age-old war between Android and the pompous iOS. If you still don’t trust me, you can look at the specifications here.
- Sorry but I’m mashing up questions 4 and 3.
In a bid to make every Nigerian reasonably comfortable despite the size of their pocket, SOLO, Airtel and RenMoney came up with an awesome project. Solo’s part is to provide an exquisitely decent smartphone packaged with all digital essentials, most of which is specially designed for you by them. Airtel pretty much handles the exclusive mobile operation with premium never-before-heard-of data experience while RenMoney guides you to enjoying this unbelievable value for next to nothing.
How much is the SOLO Aspire M from Airtel?
The phone is FREE but you need to make a monthly commitment fee (bundle price) of N4,150 for 12 months with the first month bundle price paid upfront.
What Do I get for the Monthly Commitment?
1GB Data, 60mins Voice (To any network), 60 SMS,
Unlimited Social Bundle(WhatsApp,Twitter, Facebook, BBM)
Where do I buy the SOLO Aspire M?
At Select Airtel Stores across the country and Select SOLO Partner Stores
- By virtue of this tech marriage between SOLO and Airtel (both of which are members of the “I have my own music hosting service” gang), 2 of the digital essentials contained in this phone will most likely be SOLO Music and Airtel’s music app Wynk.
SOLO Music is a music solution platform that boasts of an accessible catalogue of over 20 million songs-both local and international content-for streaming and downloading. Even better, direct reports reaching me confirm that an all new, fully fortified and revamped SOLO Music app will go live in a few weeks. Without losing its original goodness of purely great and unlimited music, the upgraded app will come with unique features that will make user experience one for the books. The features are also TARGETED at making sure artists get paid from the platform by simply monetizing their content. Before the non-Aspire M users cry foul, the new function I hear, will be available on all SOLO Mobile devices.
Airtel Wynk on the other hand, brags of about the same number and range of content with ad-free radio channels.
Both jointly take pride in their promised up-to-date online/offline libraries with exclusive playlists specially curated to meet even the needs of your mood.
Thankfully, SOLO and Airtel understand the need for artistes like you and I to earn from our music hustle.
- So imagine that this magic SOLO/Airtel/RenMoney smartphone goes viral like it most definitely would.
- Imagine that you have your content registered and uploaded on (both or either) the SOLO Music and Wynk platforms (Labels and indie artistes alike).
What that automatically spells is this. Not only will your music become widespread but every time one of the (bound to be numerous) owners of this smartphone listens to your music, you get paid. There you have it. A phone that makes some cool money for you!
No more will your listenership be restricted by the affordability of high end mobile gadgets. ALL your fans and supporters -regardless of the social strata and demographic they fall under- can have unlimited access to your content simply by this awesome and thoughtful tech plan.
Hopefully by the end of next week, we will have better insights on the endless possibilities the SOLO Aspire M smartphone but in the mean time, I highly recommend that you properly position yourself to benefit from this initiative as an artiste/music business stakeholder. Please click here to start.
And yeah, about the badass feature I was talking about.
It is unfortunate that due to our long overdue financial stress in Nigeria, products that have financial trust attachments barely thrive.
Well, I hear that a certain impregnable security feature covers this bit on the SOLO Aspire M which locks you out of the system if you try to get sneaky and not pay the N4150 required monthly (for only 12 months anyway). Even if gets stolen, there’s bad news for the thief who will most likely try to do a flash reset. Rumour has it that the most tech-notorious computer village boys are still trying to hack it without success.
Ideas and solutions like this one by SOLO and their partners are very welcome as we all work towards a much better Nigeria, fully driven by the latest gaining information and technology.
Even more exciting is the fact that the entertainment industry (particularly music) is now fully recognized and participatory as a major catalyst in this ongoing revolution.