Nigeria is a country filled with many wise people and elders who have found a way to live – no matter how dire the situation gets – happily whether they are in the city, slums, or the deepest corners of the villages.
Reality always hits us hard in the face sometimes. However, there are some common truths our elders have realised that can help guide us to dealing with situations better and never forgetting how to live happier while we’re busy chasing money, daydreaming, and socializing in the ever-growing digital world.
Take a look at some reality checks that will remind us of the simple things in life we usually tend to forget:
- Happiness is a choice. If you are not happy, then it is because you do not want to be. There are people who have absolutely nothing but are always smiling and happy. How much more you?
- No matter what you do, whether good or bad, people will always judge you. Jesus was judged, Prophet Muhammed was judged, and Buddha was judged, so you are not above being judged. The important thing is to take the wisdom, and not the judgments!
- You cannot control what happens in life. Good things will happen just as much as the bad things. But you can change the way you see life.
- Someday you will miss today because today will be the youngest, most alive, and farther away from death you’ll ever be. So make the most of every single day!
- There will always be people more beautiful/handsome than you. There will always be people richer/poorer than you. So stop worrying so much about how you look, the way you dress, and what you have.
- Patience is not always a virtue especially when it comes to chasing your dreams. Shape your life the best way you can! -no one is going to fix you.
- Learn to choose who you are and want to be wisely and choose what you do with care because being different does not always mean you are useful.
- Success is relative. Being successful means different things to different people, so do not use other people’s successes to measure your own or where you are in life.
- Perfection doesn’t exist in this mortal world, however, being charming is the next best thing to perfection.
- The life you are living right now – all you have and are – is a dream for millions of people on this earth.
- Bad days will always come but bear in mind that things could always be worse. One bad day shouldn’t ruin your life forever.
- No matter what you do, you will always end up missing something in life, just make sure that something you end up missing isn’t happiness.
- Everyone is always right in his/her own point of views.
- The lesser friends you have, the happier you will be. More friends do not always mean more fun.
- Everyone is insecure about something, not just you. If you are depressed, it pays to talk about it with people who may either be going through the same thing as you or anybody you trust with your insecurities.
- Everyone makes mistakes they all come to regret later. However, living with those mistakes without letting it define you is a major key!
- Be your own hero. No one will save you. You will get more done doing things yourself than waiting or expecting others to come and do it for you.